PEACH MELBA RECIPE
FOR THE POACHED PEACHES
2 cups water
1-1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup dry or sweet white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cinnamon stick snapped in half
Zest of one lemon
1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
6 peaches (makes 12 portions, but the poached peaches can be enjoyed the next day as seconds, plain, or with extra raspberry purée or the delicious poaching liquid, atop pancakes, etc.
1. Wash, dry and halve the peaches and discard the pits.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Simmer until peaches are slightly softened but not mushy. Frozen peach slices may be there already; whole, less ripe fresh peaches may take 7-10 minutes.
FOR THE RASPBERRY PUREÉ
2 cups fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preparation: Wash raspberries, pat dry and purée with other ingredients.
FOR THE ASSEMBLY
Vanilla ice cream
Optional garnishes: whole raspberries, mint sprigs or slivered toasted almonds, whipped cream
Serving vessels (see below)
1. To serve, place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a bowl—or better yet, make it a glass dessert bowl, a Champagne coupe, a round wine goblet, or a parfait or sundae glass.
2. Top with a peach half or sliced peaches.
3. Drizzle with raspberry purée. Garnish as desired.